Wednesday, November 5, 2008

On Accepting My Sexuality

A friend asked me an interesting question yesterday: How did I come to accept that I am gay?

The simply answer is, there is nothing for me to accept. I just am. I mean, straight people don't go around trying to "accept" that they are straight; nor left-hander go around trying to "accept" that they are left-hander.

My breakthrough really came when I realized there is nothing to accept. What is a more powerful statement is to create a social environment where the issue of sexuality is as trivial as that of left-handedness or right-handedness.

I have a very simple and straight-foward analogy on sexuality. It's like a person's main-hand. It is natural for a right-hander to write using his right hand, but can he also write with his left hand? It might be a painful process, it might take a lot of effort and it is frustrating, and the end results will be miles apart from using the natural hand, but it IS possible for everyone to write using his/her off-hand.

Some people are ambidexterous, like some people are bisexual. Is that a good news? I don't know, why don't you tell me?

(For the record, for me that would be a bragging right.)

2 comments:

  1. Darling boy, you're right there's nothing really to 'accept' we just 'are'. And the next step is what we do with it, what is our power and how can we harness it - which has always been what I'm struggling with..

    On another note, you write really well sweets.I'm not that much into Fantasy nowadays, but after LP I'll take the time to read your book fromt start to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sexy boy...
    Sexual preference is one's natural preference and there's nothing really to "accept". I believe that one's sexuality does not change who they truly are and who they can become.

    ReplyDelete